As an avid cyclist, I have a few pieces of gear that I always have on me before going out for a ride; one of those being eye protection. While out for a ride a couple of weeks ago, I had a bit of a scare as the bike in front of me hit some loose gravel and dirt on the side of the path, kicking up debris on an already windy day. Although I temporarily lost vision on a crowded path, I made it through without wrecking, thanks to my glasses blocking the dirt from getting in my eyes. This incident made me think about how motorcyclist must feel when this happens on the road. Avid bikers, including a friend of mine, say that they will never hit the road without a pair of durable, shatter proof motorcycle sunglasses or goggles. After my incident on a bike going a fraction of the speed motorcyclist travel at, I understand where they are coming from. Here are 5 great reasons why it’s vital for you to wear some form of eye protection when you hit the road:
- Lose debris and rocks- We know the damage that a small rock can do to a windshield. Now imagine how much damage that same rock could cause if it hit you in the eye. Wearing a pair of goggles or sunglasses will stop that rock or debris from scratching your eye.
- UV rays can damage your eyes- Did you know that the UV rays that reflect off the ground or street signs can be just as strong as those coming directly from the sun? For this reason alone, it’s important that you pick a pair of sunglasses with polarized lenses that block 99-100% of UV rays. This will help prevent harmful eye diseases in the short and distant future.
- Clearer vision- Different tints can provide a clearer picture for different driving conditions. For example, gray and rose tints provide a clearer image on bright days. On the other hand, brown, green, and amber tints are better for overcast days by providing contrast for hazy conditions.
- Unpredictable inclement weather- We all know that the weather can change with little to no notice, and it already stinks to be out on a ride in the rain as it is. Vision will be extremely impaired without eye protection to shield the rain, snow, or ice from hitting your eyes. Believe it or not, the precipitation can cause just as much damage as a rock or dust.
- Preventing dry eye- There have been times when I would go out for a short ride in the evening where I didn’t think I needed my goggles and felt pain in my eyes a few hours later. I didn’t know what was causing this pain, until a friend of mine questioned me and told me it was dry eye. If you aren’t afraid of anything getting in your eye, your eyes will still dry out from the wind if you don’t shield them with glasses or goggles.
On top of these safety reasons, motorcycle glasses and goggles look really cool too! Not only are they safe, but they are also stylish. Make sure to wear proper eye protection in the form of sunglasses or goggles the next time you take your bike out for a spin. Additional Source: Sunglass Warehouse Bio: An avid cyclist, Adam works hard to spread awareness about eye safety for cyclist and bikers. When he isn’t busy promoting sun safety and the importance of sunglasses, he enjoys golfing and exploring new places on his bike!